Thursday, February 17, 2011

ONE DAY


Alright, so we're to believe that the premise behind An Education's Lone Scherfig's latest is that Dexter (Jim Sturgess) and Emma (Anne Hathaway) first meet at their University of Edinburgh graduation in 1988, and then proceed to meet once a year for the next twenty years. An article in USA Today depicted One Day as "the British answer to When Harry Met Sally," although I'm failing to hear a question anywhere near. 

I can handle Sturgess, who is respectable (still must see Heartless from 2009), and even Hathaway whom I'm growing on more and more (although, she better nail Catwoman in The Dark Knight Rises, or I'm gonna shit kittens. I still think it should have been Eva Green). I'll even give props to the saturated poster seen above for the palette alone. But, a somewhat attractive duo, who share feelings for one another, yet only get together for twenty-four hours of every year, even though they're from the same country? Just fuck right off. It seems Day was a novel first by David Nicholls (which just has to be the nom de plume of Nicholas Sparks, right?), but he also wrote the screenplay, so I can just point all my displeasure towards one man. 

Sadly, Focus Features is backing this one, which probably means it's going to be pretty good; although I feel like the narrative can only go in two directions: Dexter and Emma remain single and just bang for one day each year. Or even worse, they're married but haven't forgotten about their one true love so they get together and bang for one day each year. Either way, this sounds more like the British answer to Fuck Buddies (later, No Strings Attached). 

I'm just going to wait for Like Crazy

No comments:

Post a Comment