Friday, November 5, 2010

NO STRINGS ATTACHED

Really, Natalie Portman? Always one to take interesting, daring roles (Closer, V for Vendetta), Portman has seemingly gone to the dark side, starring alongside Ashton Kutcher for what I believe is a romantic comedy, but I was groaning so much, I missed most of the dialogue. I get it, everyone needs to pay the bills. But, Kutcher? The man could not act himself out of a wet paper bag.

Part of the blame must be placed on director Ivan Reitman's shoulders. With this upcoming picture and the previous My Super Ex-Girlfriend, Reitman seems to be losing his hold on what constitutes good film nowadays.

Strings is about a pair of best friends (Portman, Kutcher) who decide to have sex because Portman's character Emma is a doctor who works 80 hours per week but still needs to have some satisfaction. So they start doing it and lo and behold, they develop feelings for one and another. Will their newfound feelings override their platonic history? Will Kutcher attempt a serious scene that comes off as goofy and unrealistic? All answers point to yes.

Look, I could be completely wrong about this, but after watching the first trailer my expectations could not be lower. Just listen to the dialogue without the picture, it's cringe inducing.

No comments:

Post a Comment