Tuesday, January 11, 2011

PIPPI LONGSTOCKING

When I would visit my grandparents in Orillia, Ontario, my sister and I would watch four things: The Bear,  Seabert the Seal, Felix the Cat (highlighting our absurdly huge love of animals), and Pippi Longstocking. With the news that Debra Granik--the woman behind the acclaimed Winter's Bone--is in talks to revive the freckle faced, red headed girl. Well, that suits me just fine.

Pippi was originally a line of children's books by Swedish author Astrid Linger (who, judging purely by her name and heritage, sounds incredibly sexy) which featured a precocious adolescent with gravity defying pig-tails and superhuman strength.

Seriously. She could lift a horse with one hand.

The words were eventually translated onto the screen: first as a film in 1949, then later a television series in the 60's. It's unclear what Granik will do to the character. I would have no objection to making her older and casting Jennifer Lawrence, who will hopefully be Oscar nominated for her work in Bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment