Wednesday, October 6, 2010

BLU-RAY RELEASE OF THE WEEK


I love that this is finally getting a taste of the high-def treatment. Michael Mann's film from James Fenimore Cooper novel is an incredible ride, and Daniel Day-Lewis is at his best here. The action scenes are truly breathtaking as well. There was some barbaric shit that went on back then, scalping for one. I'm not that brave to begin with, but I imagine it takes a real man to go to war with tomahawks. 

Then there's Magua (Wes Studi) who cuts out the heart of his enemy, which is somewhat justified seeing as his family was murdered by said white devil. I have a soft spot for Magua however, since we both share Huron blood, although I'd like to think I'm able to settle my feuds in a more civilized manner. Mohicans won the Academy Award for Sound, and rightfully so; the main theme is engrossing. There are a few films where if they're on, I cannot turn off, Mohicans is one of them. A great pick up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment